StatCounter

Monday, March 17, 2008

Hawaii (Monday)

"Good morning. It's quarter to five Hawaii time, but some gals had to leave to catch their shuttle to go, and I'm awake. It's dark, but even from our little cabin at the base of the mountains, I can hear the ocean, a faint sound like wind in the trees or cars on the highway. The smell of the ocean is in the air, and the sunrise and sunset happens much faster than We're used to, much shorter dawn and dusk, the sun doesn't linger. " Ruth



"It's funny, i should be sleeping, but i'm filled with happiness and thoughts of my Tkd family at home, and I miss my Shadow cat, funny as that sounds. :) I am constantly filled with a sense of awe at the people in our dojang. I've never been in another sport where the TEAM mentality is so strong, and we all work for the betterment of each person. It's everyone's job in the school to help and support and encourage everyone else, and Mr. R IS SUCH A GREAT EXAMPLE OF THAT TEAM PLAYER! Last nite susi and I talked. Team Montana was always the last team helping do clean-up and tear down after every meal, and Mr. R's out there with us, wiping tables and sweeping the floor. It's maybe a small thing to some, but Lead By Example is a philosophy that this school embraces. Now, if I could only acquire some of Mrs. R's flexibility by association! We love you Amanda!
But seriously, our whole crew has been courteous and helpful, made friends with the staff, and We've all become closer as a result! I mean, perfect example, take Megan. One who may have unwittingly kicked me in the head and changed my life. :) I'm over my fear! She's filled with enthusiasm, kicks faster than I can think and has a great smile! Or Abbey, who I learned plays wicked piano, and is simply an amazing fighter and awesome person. She embraces challenge, willingly helps others, and is the most capable 12-year-old I've EVER MET! And Susi fought almost every match yesterday, including against Simona! I am so proud of her! She said she credits hoodie training for her success, despite the ribbing we took for it. :) LOL! Mark Miller always has a ready smile, is a GREAT sport, and was so thoughtful. He held down KP duty most of the weekend and never complained. In addition, he looks out for others to check in to see how they are doing, TKD and otherwise. Austin James I also got to know better, he is a very calm person, but with resolve and fortitude. Austin is also a great fighter, and has an ease about him that is a contrast to the frenetic energy to some of his team.:) I'm so glad to get to know both him and Megan better. Viet, I knew could pay the guitar, but last nite I discovered He's not only a musician, but a singer/songwriter as well! Around the campfire he played a song he wrote for me, he is always ready to laugh, or even better, to send me into a total laugh attack by showing me his mouthful of food. Seafood anyone? Ryan, the white belt superstar, gets props on several counts. Not only did he quit smoking and is determined to sick with it, but he fought black belt national and international competitors with a smile. He was also my partner, and gave me a killer trophy bruise. I'm glad he was here, the most fun I had was going a few sudden death rounds with him. And that I survived sparring Megan. LOL! ...And Mr. R is the best coach I could ever hope for. He knows when to be strict and when to be gentle, he is an incredible mentor, and CARES about every member of his team and his school. You know if you miss a practice, he NOTICES because he cares.
This has been a life-changing event for me to come here. I had my "epiphany" on the beach yesterday. I just want to say how much I love my TKD family, both the team here and everone else at home, especially my dear friend Kim. You never know what tomorrow may bring, so it's imperative that I live EVERYday being the best ME that I can be, and my TKD family supports that growth and progress. Every person is committed to the betterment of everyone else. That's very special. It may sound cliche or trite, but true." Ruth

It's now quarter to six, I've spent an hour texting out my thought in the dark, but it was important. I ended up talking to Omar yesterday, who won the US Open, Mr. R told me. And Omar asked me how I got into TKD. I told him my brother started ten minutes before I did, and the I wanted to join too. Mr Randy Quam was our instructor. I've had gaps in my training, but now I'm determined that martial arts will be a part of my life for the rest of my life. It's not the destination, It's the journey, as Mr. R says. It's about being the best that I can be mentally, physically, and spiritually thru my practice, living "The Way'. I called both my parents to thank them yesterday. I would not be here without them. Hawaii or this planet. I want them to know I live and appreciate them supporting my dreams and helping me fulfill my goals. The only way to go from here is up. All my best from Oahu!" Ruth


"Eating lunch after being on the WAIKIKI Beach. We're at the Tiki grill. It's HOT today. A St. Patrick's Day parade with bagpipes and Irish dancers came by. Happy 4Leaf Clover Day! Non of us want to leave. Ok, well it will be good to be home too. I have learned that hiviscus is a tree as well as a bush, which I didn't know! I'm having a cheeseburger and a VIRGIN strawberry daquiri. Susi and Abbey had virgin lava flows, like a pina colada with strawberries. US GIRLS NEEDED FRUITY DRINKS!:). Leave beach by 4 to gather all our bags and be at the airport early. That will be good!" Ruth

"We're heading to Oahu TKD center now to pick up all our bags, then get dropped at the airport. I spent way too much on memorabilia. I like that word better than souvenirs. :)" Ruth 8:54pm MST

"We are having such a great time. I have learned a lot about the things I am strong with and the things I need to improve on. I have come up with a phrase that helps me to remember to try things even though I might fail. The phrase is 'Bring it On' Whenever I have self-doubt, I think....Bring it on. One example on the physical side is my fear of sparring. To get over that I asked Simona to spar. A mental example is the up coming black belt test. It's the journey not the end point I should be focusing on........Bring It!" Susi